If you can read this … you can change a child’s story! It’s true – with just your reading ability and a little time, you can forever change how a child experiences school and even life after graduation.
Did you know…
- Approximately 1 in 4 Iowa children read below grade level—that’s 100,000 children,
- Children reading below grade level in 3rd grade are 4 times more likely to drop out of high school,
- Children from middle-income homes have on average 13 books per child in comparison to children in low-income homes who have 1 on average.
But the story can be changed….
Grace UMC is excited to be a part of the Bishop’s poverty to opportunity initiative, “Change a Child’s Story.” The Bishop has challenged Iowa UMC churches to donate 1 million books and to read 1 million hours with children in poverty by June 2017. Grace has accepted this challenge with our own goal of donating 6,000 books and reading 6,000 hours with children in poverty. And we can do it!
There are a few ways to be a part of this outreach:
- Any church member may donate new or gently used books appropriate for pre-K – 5th grades at the church.
- Any UMC church member may read with a (non-family member) child from a low-income home.
- Help volunteer with the CACS team and projects! Contact Lora Kracht for more information.
Together Grace UMC can not only change children’s stories – we will have our stories changed too!